Grigory Ivanovich Polyakov

(1876–1939)

 

Was a disciple of well known Russian ornithologists and taxidermist F. Lorenz to whom the Museum owes very good stuffed skins of mammals and birds displayed in its exhibition. Polyakov graduated from evening course of Shanyavsky's People University of Moscow, and his first research projects was on birds of Moscow Region and adjacent lands.

He donated his own collection of about 10 thousand bird study  skins to the Museum in 1923. Later, in 1927 he was imprisoned in Solovki and served there as head of biological station of the local branch of the Society of Naturalists. He lived in surrounds of Moscow since 1932 till the death continuing collecting birds and books.