|Self-eating in beavers — trophic opportunism or reaction on stress? Extreme case from Mongolia|
Saveljev A.P., Niamosor Batbayar, Shaariybuu Boldbaatar, Batseren Dashbiamba
For the purpose of preservation of a unique gene pool of autochthonous beavers Castor fiber birulai in 1985–2002 daughter population in adjoining regions of NW Mongolia and South Tuva (Tes River / Tesijn gol basin) has been introduced (Stubbe et al., 2005). Today this local population has reached 150 animals (Saveljev et al., 2015). The physical condition of the beavers that were caught by a sort of natural “ecological trap” late February, 2015 is described. As the result of extreme frosts animals have been blocked by frazil in the lodge and had no access to forage. Local people have released five animals from this ice captivity. All beavers had gnawed tails. Absence in this area of terrestrial large predators allows to assume with high degree of confidence that the reason of traumas at animals was self- (or allo-) gnawing. The facts of placentophagy and piscivory of beavers and infestation by opisthorchosis as well, as cases of predation and scavenging among mammals (the “obligate” phytophages) are discussed.
- Battin J. 2004. When good animals love bad habitats: ecological traps and the conservation of animal populations // Conservation Biology. Vol.18. No.6. P.1482–1491.
- Bentkhen P.V., Schvetsov Yu.G. & Romanov G.G. 1970. [Influence of winter conditions on acclimatization and re-acclimatization of semiaquatic mammals in Eastern Siberia] // [Questions of Game Management in Siberia and the Far East]. Irkutsk. P.25–27 [in Russian].
- Boldbaatar Sh. & Namshir Z. 2003. [New place a finding of the beaver (Castor fiber), supervision on its ecology and habits] // [Mammalogical Studies in Mongolia and Adjacent Territories. Proceedings of the Institute of Biology MAS. Ulaanbaatar]. No.24. P.40–45 [in Mongolian with Russian summary].
- Bugrovskii V.V. 1990. [Uvs Nuur Hollow as the natural active laboratory] // Informatsionnye Problemy Izucheniya Biosfery [Informational Problems in Study of Biosphere]. Pushchino: Akademiya nauk SSSR. P.5–9 [in Russian].
- Clauss M., Lischke A., Botha H. & Hatt J.-M. 2016. Carcass consumption by domestic rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) // European Journal of Wildlife Research, Vol.62. No.1. P.143–145.
- Dorward L.J. 2015. New record of cannibalism in the common hippo, Hippopotamus amphibius (Linnaeus, 1758) // African Journal of Ecology. Vol.53. No.3. P.385–387.
- Gleason G.S., Hoffman R.A. & Wendland J.M. 2005. Beavers, Castor canadensis, feeding on salmon carcasses: opportunistic use of a seasonally superabundant food source // Canadian Field-Naturalist. Vol.119. P.591–593.
- Romashov V.A. 1958. [Detection of the natural centre of opisthorchosis in Voronezh River basin] // Okhrana Prirody Tsentral’no-Chernozemnoi Polosy. Voronezh. No.1. P.439–441 [in Russian].
- Samiya R. 2013. Castor fiber birulai Serebrennikov 1929 // Mongolian Red Book. Ulaanbaatar. P.64–66 [in Mongolian and English].
- Saveljev A.P. & Archimaeva T.P. 2015. [Ecological dynamic of Amniota at seasonal, interannual and long-term changes of water level of Uvs Lake] // Scientific Proceedings of the Institute of General and Experimental Biology MAS, Ulaanbaatar. No.31. P.87–101 [in Russian and English].
- Saveljev A.P., Shar S., Scopin A.E., Otgonbaatar M., Soloviev V.A., Putincev N.I. & Lhamsuren N. 2015. Introduced semiaquatic mammals in the Uvs Nuur Hollow (current distribution and ecological vectors of the naturalization) // Russian Journal of Biological Invasions. Vol.6. No.1. P.37–50.
- Stubbe M., Dawaa N., Samjaa R., Stubbe A., Saveljev A.P., Heidecke D., Sumjaa D., Ansorge H., Shar S. & Ducroz J.-F. 2005. Beaver research in the Uvs Nuur region // Exploration into Biological Resources of Mongolia. Vol.9. P.101–106.
- UNESCO 2003. Decisions Adopted by the 27th Session of the World Heritage Committee in 2003. Paris: World Heritage Committee. P.104–105.