|Cytogenetic characteristics of pikas Ochotona hyperborea and O. mantchurica (Lagomorpha, Mammalia) in the Amur River Basin|
Kartavtseva I.V., Vakurin A.A., Lissovsky A.A., Frisman L.V.
Most pikas of the genus Ochotona have clear cytogenetic differentiations; therefore, karyotype characteristics offer good diagnostic features in this group. The northern pika O. hyperborea is one of the most widely distributed pika species in the Russian Far East. Cytogenetic data on pikas from new localities from the Amur River Basin were obtained for elaborating on the species’ identification. Chromosome staining showed that pikas from the Bastak Nature Reserve (Jewish Autonomous Region, Russia) differ from the previously studied O. hyperborea. In addition, chromosome morphology for O. hyperborea from the Bastak Nature Reserve and from the Soktahan Range in the Amur Region (Russia) was found to be slightly different. The variation found in the C-stained chromosomes can be explained by the geographic reasons. The Manchurian pika O. mantchurica from the right bank of the Shilka River (Zabaikalskiy Territory, Russia) had diploid number of chromosomes 2n=39. This is an X0 karyotype variant with a single X chromosome that has been found in Ochotonidae for the first time.
- Amleh A., Xu B-Z. & Taketo T. 2013. Role of sex chromosomes in mammalian female fertility // D’Aquino M. & Stalone V. (eds.) Sex chromosome new research. New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc. P.53–86.
- Ford C.E. & Hamerton J.L. 1956. A colchicines hypotonic citrate squash sequence for mammalian chromosomes // Stain Technology. Vol.31. P.247–251.
- Formozov N.A. & Baklushinskaya I.Yu. 2011. [Manchurian pika (Ochotona mantchurica scorodumovi) from the interfluve of the Shilka and Argun rivers: karyotype and problems of pika taxonomy in Amurland and adjacent territories] // Zoologicheskii Zhurnal. Vol.90. No.4. P.490–497 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Formozov N.A., Grigor’eva T.V. & Surin V.L. 2006. [Molecular systematics of pikas of the subgenus Pika (Ochotona, Lagomorpha)] // Zoologicheskii Zhurnal. Vol.85. No.12. P.1465–1473 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Formozov N.A., Lissovsky A.A. & Baklushinskaya I.Yu. 1999. [Karyological diagnostics of pikas (Ochotona, Lagomorpha) from the Putorana Plateau] // Zoologicheskii Zhurnal. Vol.78. No.5. P.606–612 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Graphodatsky A.S. & Radjabli S.I. 1988. [The chromosomes of agricultural and laboratory mammals. An Atlas]. Novosibirsk: Nauka Press. 128 p. [in Russian].
- Hayata I. & Shimba H. 1969. A note on the somatic chromosomes of the Japanese pika, Ochotona hyperborea yesoensis Kishida // Journal of the Faculty of Science Hokkaido University. Series 6. Vol.17. No.2. P.393–396.
- Howell W.M. & Black D.A. 1980. Controlled silver-staining of nucleolus organizer regions with a protective colloidal developer: a 1-step method // Experientia. Vol.36. P.1014–1015.
- Ivanitskaya E.Yu. 1985. [Taxonomical and cytogenetical analysis of Transberingian relations of shrews (Sorex: Insectivora) and pikas (Ochotona: Lagomorpha)]. PhD thesis. Moscow University. Moscow. P.1–25 [in Russian].
- Ivanitskaya E.Yu. 1991. [Comparative analysis of banded chromosomes of pikas and intrageneric taxonomy of the genus Ochotona (Ochotonidae, Lagomorpha)] // Proceedings of the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Vol.243. P.110–126 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Kartavtseva I.V., Sheremetyeva I.N., Gus’kov V.Yu., Vakurin A.A., Kumaksheva E.V. & Frisman L.V. 2014. [Taxonomic status of northern pika (Ochotona hyperborea) from the Sikhote-Alin] // Vestnik DVO RAN. Vol.2. P.79–85 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Lissovsky A.A. 2005. [Comparative analyses of the vocalization of pikas (Ochotona, Mammalia) from alpina-hyperborea group] // Bulletin Moskovskogo Obshchestva Ispytatelei Prirody, Otdel Biologicheskii. Vol.110. P.12–26 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Lissovsky A.A. 2012. [Order Lagomorpha] // Pavlinov I.Ya. & Lissovsky A.A. (eds.) The Mammals of Russia: A taxonomic and Geographic Reference. Moscow: KMK Scientific Press (Archive of the Zoological Museum of MSU. Vol.52). P.127–141 [in Russian].
- Lissovsky A.A. 2015. A new subspecies of Manchurian pika Ochotona mantchurica (Lagomorpha, Ochotonidae) from the Lesser Khinggan Range, China // Russian Journal of Theriology. Vol.14. No.2. P.145–152.
- Lissovsky A.A., Ivanova N.V. & Borisenko A.V. 2007. Molecular phylogenetics and taxonomy of the subgenus Pika (Ochotona, Lagomorpha) // Journal of Mammalogy. Vol.88. No.5. P.1195–1204.
- Lissovsky A.A., Yang Qisen & Pil’nikov A.E. 2008. Taxonomy and distribution of the pikas (Ochotona, Lagomorpha) of alpina-hyperborea group in North-East China and adjacent territories // Russian Journal of Theriology. Vol.7. No.1. P.5–16.
- Sokolov V.E., Ivanitskaya E.Yu., Gruzdev V.V. & Heptner V.G. 1994. [Mammals of Russia and adjacent regions: Lagomorpha]. Moscow: Nauka Press. 272 p. [in Russian].
- Sumner A.T. 1972. A simple technique for demonstraiting centrometric heterochromatin // Experimental Cell Research. Vol.83. P.438–442.
- Vorontsov N.N. & Ivanitskaya E.Yu. 1973. [Comparative karyology of north Palaearctic pikas (Ochotona, Lagomorpha, Ochotonidae)] // Zoologicheskii Zhurnal. Vol.52. No.4. P.584–588 [in Russian, with English summary].