|Large mammal fauna of the West Siberian forest-tundra zone in the late Holocene|
Bachura O.P., Kosintsev P.A., Lobanova T.V.
Changes in Late Holocene species composition and dynamics of number of large mammal fauna are described for the forest-tundra zone of West Siberia. The review is based on 14C dated materials from cave and archeological sites. During the studied period the species composition of large mammals was nearly constant and similar to the modern one with azonal species dominating in the fauna. The faunal composition of the southern part of forest-tundra zone differed from the northern part by the presence of the beaver and otter. Minor changes in the faunal composition took place only in the northern part of this area at the end of the Subatlantic period and concerned changes in the northern boundary of the sable range. It was controlled by the shift of northern forest boundary and the increased human activities. People completely exterminated beavers and sables in the region by the mid 18th century. The mountain hare, polar fox, and reindeer had persistently high numbers during the Late Holocene in the forest-tundra zone. The numbers of other species were low. The modern mammal species composition of the forest-tundra zone was formed by the interplay of climatic change and commercial activity of people.
- Aristov A.A. & Baryshnikov G.F. 2001. [The mammals of Russia and adjacent territories. Carnivores and Pinnipeds]. Saint Petersburg: Zoological Institute RAS. 560 p. [In Russian].
- Bachura O.P., Kosintsev P.A., Gimranov D.O., Korona O.M., Nekrasov A.E. & Panteleev A.P. 2017. [Ust-Polui: economic activities of the population and the natural environment] // Archeology of the Arctic. Ust-Poluy: materials and research. Issue. 4. Ekaterinburg: Izdatel
- Kosintsev P.A. 2009. [The burial wolf
- Gashev S.N. 1996. [Theriofauna of the Tyumen region and its protection] // The condition of the theriofauna in Russia and the near abroad. Moscow. P.83-90. [In Russian].
- Golovachev I.B. & Smirnov N.G. 2009 The Late Pleistocene and Holocene rodents of the Pre-Urals subarctic // Quaternary International. Vol.201. P.37-42.
- Kadebskaya O.I. & Kosintsev P.A. 2012. [Karst phenomena of Yanganape and Nyavape Rivers (Polar Urals)] // Problems of Regional Ecology. No.6. P.42-48. [In Russian].
- Khantemirov R.M. & Shiyatov S.G. 1999. [Radiocarbon and dendrochrological dating of subfossil wood from the Yamal Peninsula and usage of those in studies of forest-tundra ecosystems dynamics] // Biota of the Pre-Urals Subarctic in Late Pleistocene and Holocene. Ekaterinburg: Izdatelstvo Ekaterinburg. P.3-22. [In Russian with English summary].
- Khotinsky N.A., Aleshinskaya Z.V., Guman M.A., Klimanov V.A. & Cherkinskiy A.E. 1991. [New scheme of the periodization of landscape and climatic changes in the Holocene] // Izvestiya AN SSSR. Seriya geograficheskaya (Bull. of the Academy of Sci. of the USSR. Geographic series). No.3. P.30-42. [In Russian].
- Kirikov S.V. 1960. [Changes in the animal world in the natural zones of the USSR (XIII – XIX centuries): Forest zone and forest-tundra]. Moscow: Academy of Sciences of the USSR. 156 p. [In Russian].
- Kirikov S.V. 1966. [The game animals, the natural environment and man]. Moscow: Nauka. 348 p. [In Russian].
- Kosintsev P.A. & Lobanova T.V. 2003. [Late Holocene megamammals of West Siberia forest-tundra] // Quaternary paleozoology in the Urals. Ekaterinburg: Ural State University. P.171-176. [In Russian].
- Kosintsev P.A. & Lobanova T.V. 2006. [Large mammals of the West Siberian forest-tundra zone over the Late Holocene] // Dynamics of the recent ecosystems over the Holocene. Proceedings of the Russian Scientific conference. Moscow, Russia, February 2-3, 2006. Moscow: KMK Scientific Press Ltd. P.113-116. [In Russian].
- Monakhov V.G. 1995. [Sable of the Urals, Priobye and Yenisei Siberia]. Ekaterinburg: Bank kulturnoy informatcii. 154 p. [In Russian].
- Nomokonova N.Yu., Lozei R.J., Tupahin O.S. & Tupahin D.S. 2017. [Subsistence patterns of population of the Lower Ob river basin during the Eneolithic (based on faunal remains of the settlement of Gorniy Samotnel-1)] // Bulletin of archeology, anthropology and ethnography. No.1(36). P.143-149. [In Russian with English summary].
- Panova N.K. & Yankovskaya V. 2008. [Results of spore-pollen analysis of the Ust-Poluy monument and sediments in the vicinity of Salekhard] // Scientific Bulletin of the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous District. Vol.9(61). P.55-64. [In Russian].
- Ponomarev D.V. 2001. [Megamammals of the European North-East in Late Pleistocene and Holocene]. Syktyvkar: Komi Scientific Centre. 48 p. [In Russian with English summary].
- Reimer P.J., Bard E., Bayliss A., Beck J.W., Blackwell P.G., Bronk Ramsey C., Buck C.E., Cheng H., Edwards R.L., Friedrich M., Grootes P.M., Guilderson T.P., Haflidason H., Hajdas I., Hatte C., Heaton T.J., Hoffmann D.L., Hogg A.G., Hughen K.A., Kaiser K.F., Kromer B., Manning S.W., Niu M., Reimer R.W., Richards D.A., Scott E.M., Southon J.R., Staff R.A., Turney C.S.M. & van der Plicht J., 2013. IntCal13 and Marine13 radiocarbon age calibration curves 0–50,000 years cal BP // Radiocarbon. Vol.55, No.4. P.1869-1887.
- Skalon V.N. 1951. [River beavers of northern Asia]. Moscow: Moscow Society of Naturalists, MOIP. 208 p. [In Russian].
- Velichko A.A., Andreev A.A. & Klimanov V.A. 1994. [Dynamics of vegetation and climate in tundra and forest zones of Northern Eurasia in Late Glacial and Holocene] // Short-period and sharp landscape-climatic changes over the last 15,000 years. Moscow: Institute of Geography RAS. P.4-60. [In Russian].
- Vizgalov G.P., Kardash O.V., Kosintsev P.A. & Lobanova T.V. 2013. [Historical ecology of the population of the north of Western Siberia]. Nefteyugansk: Institute of the Archaeology of the North, Ekaterinburg: AMB. 374 p. [In Russian].